Ear Pinning: 3 Benefits of Otoplasty
Ear pinning surgery for children or adults is often a solution to desired cosmetic. Ear pinning, or otoplasty, can help remedy or prevent bullying in young children and boost their self confidence. An Otoplasty is commonly performed Vail, CO plastic surgery available to children beginning at age 5 years, but can be successfully performed on adults as well.
When performed by one of the top plastic surgeons, ear surgery can improve a variety of cosmetic concerns, including:
- Balance of one ear to the other
- Proportion of ears to rest of facial features
- Abnormal or disfigured contour
- Ear position on head
Typically children will need about one to two weeks to recovery from ear pinning surgery. Adults are usually able to return to work within a week.
Benefits of Ear Pinning
When your ears are abnormally small or large – creating a disproportion with your face – or there’s an imbalance with ear placement, it can negatively affect your self confidence. Ear reshaping or pinning is largely an elective, aesthetic procedure that can greatly improve your self-esteem and looks.
- Structural Changes: Otoplasty is often used to address ears that have a “cauliflower” appearance, are abnormally small or large, folded, or cupped. This will help reshape the ear and give a natural appearance.
- Confidence: Patients whose self esteem is affected by protruding or misshapen ears will benefit greatly from ear pinning. When you’re not concerned about hiding your ears with a particular hairstyle, hat, or headband, you have the freedom to be yourself. Vail, CO plastic surgeon Dr. Devinder Mangat can create a new self image with the procedure.
- Prevent Bullying: Children who are bullied at a young age are more likely to develop lower self confidence. It’s believed that as many as 1 in 3 U.S. children are bullied at some point in their lives. To help boost a child’s confidence and security in themselves, ear pinning is a great option.
For adults, completing Vail, CO ear pinning surgery, the physical change can lead to more confidence in the workplace and the self-esteem boost needed to speak in front of others, apply for a promotion, or engage a new career opportunity.
Process of Ear Pinning
A consultation with one of the best plastic surgeons in Vail, CO will begin the process of an ear pinning procedure. You’ll speak with the cosmetic surgery team to tell them your desired results and determine if you’re a good candidate for the procedure.
In some cases, ear pinning surgery on a small child may involve a consultation with a surgical counselor to help the parents and child understand the procedure and risks.
The surgery can be performed under local or general anesthesia, depending on the age and anxiousness of the patient. The procedure takes about one hour. A small incision is made in the area where the ear connects to the head, and the Vail, CO cosmetic surgeon pulls or trims the cartilage to create the desired look. The patient is allowed to leave after the anesthesia wears off. It’s generally advised to avoid intense physical activity for the next 6 to 8 weeks.
Schedule your consultation with Mangat Copit Plastic Surgery today. You can also call 970.766.3223 to schedule your appointment.